Kat Reading

Kat Reading

Friday, September 5, 2008

So, I started thinking

I realized that once our MRI is done, we will be waiting for 6 weeks to see the surgeon. I spoke to our audiologist and he thought that was too long. He suggested I call back and ask if they have any openings with the other surgeon. (Turns out our ENT is very territorial and has just recently begun "letting" the other ENTs work on kids) So, I called the office again. I explained that we were scheduled to get our MRI in two days, so could we get an earlier appointment if we used surgeon #2. The secretary looked and was able to get us in with surgeon #1 in two weeks!!!! I was dumbfounded. September 16, a full month earlier! I also called the audiologist back and made an appointment to order the device, September 18. Suddenly the ball is rolling very fast.

We could be looking at a surgery date in October instead of December now! I got so nervous I started calling all the parents of CI kids I know. I had to go out for a walk, just to get rid of my nervous energy. I am thrilled that this is really going to happen now, but it is also scary that it is happening so soon. I am still in shock, I think. I had never believed Miss Kat would be an implant candidate, and then when her loss got more severe, I thought that people would say no. I really think, at the beginning of this journey, I had never considered that it would actually happen. That she would ever really get a CI. Guess I was wrong!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I have an Advanced Bionics CI and I'm very happy with it. I love this gift of hearing! Thanks for sharing Miss Kat's precious story