Kat Reading

Kat Reading

Saturday, August 30, 2008

We spoke to the surgeon's office!

Finally spoke to someone at the surgeons office. We have our appointment... Oct. 16. We need to get an MRI before then, and then we will be headed for surgery! I asked the secretary how long it takes after the appointment to actually get the surgery. She said that, of course, it varies but that it is normally 4 to 6 weeks after insurance approval. I told her we have medicaid and asked her how long that usually takes or if it will be a problem. She told me medicaid should approve quickly (so long as she is an implant candidate). I told her that she should be. She then said that they are starting to schedule at Primary Children's Hospital for Dec. 5. I was dumbfounded. We actually had a far off goal. I had mentioned earlier that Miss Kat is five years old now, so she thought to herself for a moment and remarked that Katrina could even be seen at LDS hospital since she was so old. She said that they have more OR time at LDS so it could be much earlier!

I can't believe we are doing this. Could this actually be happening? I've been thinking about how poor her hearing now is with her aids. We start speech therapy this week and I worry about how much good it will even do. She was making such great progress last year, I am concerned that it won't happen again. What if her hearing was so poor now that her speech and listening skills couldn't improved? It seemed possible. Her speech was very quickly deteriorating. Her "daddy" was now "baa". Even "No" was intelligible. She needs the implant to bring her back to where she was, let alone make it possible for her to improve. I am more sure than ever that this is the right choice for her.

I called and set up Miss Kat's appointment for her MRI. She hoes in Sept. 4 at 2:45. It is way before her ENT appointment, so I'm going to start calling every morning to see if they had a cancellation, so maybe we can move the whole thing up. I'm starting to feel the urgency. She needs this now. I don't want her to have to wait one extra day. The idea of 4 weeks between surgery and activation is killing me....

No comments: