So, now our decision is made. We believe that Miss Kat would benefit from a cochlear implant. It is time to get the ball rolling. I made an appointment with the audiologist we have been seeing for the last 3 1/2 years.
It took a lot of courage for me to admit I had been wrong about CI parents, and implants in general. It was a very big deal for me to even consider it for my child, and even bigger for me to ask for information from a professional. I went to my audiologist hoping that I would find support and unbiased information. That is not what happened at all.
The audiologist said absoultly not. She told me that she would never recommend that Miss Kat get a CI, that the road ended here. She said she would never allow a child to be implanted unless she knew that the child would become 100% oral, and that since we decided to use ASL with Katrina, she wouldn't allow us to get an implant.