Kat Reading

Kat Reading

Friday, August 22, 2008

The changes begin

I was broken hearted that a professional would treat us with such disrespect. She didn't seem to care about Miss Kat's well being at all. She had decided that since we had not followed her directions and used ASL, despite her strongly worded orders, that this was her way of paying her back.

I spoke with a friend who has 2 CI children. She was appalled by my audiologist's behavior. She gave me the name and number of the person her children see. She told me he was a wonderful audiologist, and that he loves implants. He is rather aggressive, and perhaps a second opinion was in order. We had nothing to lose.

Our first visit was scheduled. I was terrified. I didn't know if I even wanted to get a CI for Miss Kat. Was I going through all this trouble for something that was a mistake? What if he said no? Or worse still, what if he said YES??? Was this truly what we wanted. We thought long and hard as the appointment approached. Yes, this was right. Kat deserved proper amplification. She had been able to hear in the past, and there were many indications that she enjoyed what she could hear. We didn't want to take away the language and culture that she has, we want to give her more. More opportunities for language, better access and the ability to communicate with everyone. We were ready to do this.

No comments: