Kat Reading

Kat Reading

Monday, March 30, 2009

Go, Dog. Go!

Miss Kat and I read this book today. When I am reading voice only, I ask her to repeat back to me, in sign, what I have said, so that I know that she is comprehending what I am saying. (I don't always do it, sometimes we just read to enjoy, or to just flood her with language, but today I did check) And here, in bold, is what Miss Kat understood today:

Big dog. Little dog. Big dogs and little dogs. Black and white dogs.
"Hello". "Hello". "Do you like my hat?" "I do not". "Good bye" "Good bye"
One little dog going in. There big dogs going out (she signed "ouch").
A red dog on a blue tree. A blue dog on a red tree. A green dog on a yellow tree.
Some big dogs and some little dogs going around in cars. A dog out of a car.
Two big dogs going up. One little dog going down.
The green dog is up. The yellow dog is down. The blue dog is in. The red dog is out(!)
One dog up on a house. Three dogs down in the water.
A green dog over a tree (signed eat??) A yellow dog under a tree(!)
Two dogs in a house in a boat (signed boot) in the water. A dog over the water. A dog under the water.
The dogs are all going around and around and around. "Go around again!"
The sun is up. The sun is yellow. The yellow sun is over the house.
It is hot out here in the sun. It is not hot here under the house.
Now it is night. Three dogs at a party on a boat (2nd try) at night.
Dogs at work. Work, dogs, work!Dogs at play. Play, dogs play!
Dogs in cars again. Going away. Going away fast.
Look at those dogs go. Go, dogs, go. Stop, dogs stop! The light is red now.
Go, dogs. Go! The light is green now.
Two dogs at play. At play up on top. Go down, dogs. Do not play up there. Go down.
Now it is night. Night is not the time for play. It is time for sleep. The dogs go to sleep. They will sleep all night. Now it is day. The sun is up. Now is the time for all dogs to wake up. Wake up . It is day. Time to get going. Go, dogs, Go!
There they go. Look at those dogs go! Why are they going fast in those cars? What are they going to do? Where are those dogs going?
Look where they are going. There are all going to that big tree over there.
Now the cars stop. Now all the dogs get out. And now look where the dogs are going!
To the tree! To the tree! Up the tree! Up the tree! Up they go to the top of the tree.
Why? Will they work? Will they play? What is up there on top of that tree?
A dog party! A big dog party! Big dogs, small dogs, red dogs, blue dogs, yellow dogs, green dogs, black dogs, and white dogs are all at a dog party! Wow, a dog party!
"Hello again. And now do you like my hat?" "Yes. I like it. I like that party hat".
"Goodbye"
"Goodbye!"

So, I only counted a word if she signed it to me. If the word isn't used in ASL, I didn't bold it.

So, 4 months hearing....how's she doing??


3 comments:

leah said...

Her receptive language is pretty darned amazing for four months post-activation. Very, very cool progress!

Anonymous said...

Depends. Since you were in close proximity, and she was looking at you, how much of it did she lip read?

Miss Kat's Parents said...

Nope, she was sitting next to me, not across, so she couldn't see my lips.