Here are a few things that have happened in the last few weeks:
- Miss Kat was on the way to school awhile ago, when she said "When I grow up, I'll have a deaf baby. My baby will go to (her oral school)." That made us feel really good. She is clearly happy, and likes school enough to want her future babies to go there.
- We have been attending a "support group" for parents of deaf children at a Deaf community center. It is a sort of ASL class plus some games with the kiddos. Miss Kat seems to like it. She is able to play with some ASL using kids, so she can continue to keep her skills up.
- In regards to going to that group one day, Miss Kat said "I am deaf. Some deaf people talk. They have hearing aids and implants. Some deaf people sign. They don't. I can talk and sign. They are different but the same too. They are deaf." Yep, exactly right....they are.
- Some people have approached me about starting a Hands & Voices chapter in our state. I accepted and I am starting to try to get the word out!
- Miss Kat came home from school and was singing "5 Little Ducks". It was adorable! It was the first time she has learned a song. The words weren't all right, but she understood it. She knew it had a tune, and that it repeated. Maybe I will tape it and put it up.
- Miss Kat and I went to a Deaf expo yesterday. I got some contacts for H&V and she got some candy. Good time all around!