Miss Kat's therapy semester ended last week. We received her "progress report" this week and it was great news!
Long Term Goals:
1. Katrina will increase receptive language through auditory information only using her cochlear implant by February 2010.
2. Katrina will use her cochlear implant to develop spoken language by February 2010.
3. Katrina will increase the complexity of her auditory skills by February 2010.
Nice and vague, right?! These are just the overall goals that we have for the next year.
Short Term Goals
1. Katrina will detect and repeat the Ling 6 sounds + "no voice" with auditory only presentation with 100% accuracy across three consecutive sessions.
She had some trouble with "ooo" vs "mmm" when she was first activated, but a follow up MAPing fixed that right up!
2. Katrina will demonstrate auditory discrimination of vowels in words presented in a closed set of four with 80% accuracy across two consecutive sessions.
We used words that had the same beginning and final sound, with only a vowel change (i.e. boot, bite, boat, bat). Her baseline was 40% (knowing one word plus luck guesses!) She achieved 85% by our last two sessions.
3. Katrina will increase her identification of familiar objects when named using auditory only information to 50 picture or objects as a cumulative measure.
She got 54 objects identified. The list did not include colors or numbers, which she also knows. Her baseline was 12 words.
4. Katrina will increase her spontaneous use of meaningful expressive language to include 50 single word approximations or word combinations in communication with clinician as a cumulative measure.
74 total word approximations! These are all spontaneous and she had several 3 word sentences recorded! Baseline was 22 words, but that was 2 months post activation. Pre-CI it was literally Momma, Daddy, and baby, that's it.
5. Katrina will demonstrate auditory comprehension of highly familiar phrases with reduced supersegmental pattern differences with 70% success across two sessions.
She got 81% and 85%. The phrases were things like "Pat your head" and " Touch your toes". She did very well.
WAY TO GO MISS KAT!!!! What a difference 5 months and one implant makes!